Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Some of you know I've returned to school this semester, part-time (because, alas, I can't extract myself from the fulltime job right now); I'm embarking on a graduate program in ethics. Posts might get a little spare from time to time, especially around midterms and finals, but they'll be here. I am constitutionally unable to ignore news and commentary I find about the topics of this blog, and similarly unable to restrain myself from sharing them.

However, book-reading will be another story (no pun intended). If it's not assigned on one of my syllabi, I'm not allowing myself to read it. (And I've already got a towering pile of unread books that now must wait until the semester break.) So, sadly, I must take a pass on Arthur Schlesinger's new book, though it pains me.

It's less painful to pass on Kitty Kelley's newest, as I'm not really a fan. However, her fans are legion, and that somehow makes it all the more delightful that she has trained her renowned excavating skills on the Bush clan. I haven't been reading or watching her interviews, but James Wolcott has, and he sees something newly snooty about them:
"The hypocrisy of the cable newsers reeks to low hell.

For years they've been hyping and peddling every variety of fishy speculation and brazen assertion about the Clintons, Vince Foster, Monica, Gary Condit-Chandra Levy, Laci Peterson, this rape case, that abduction case; they've rolled out the ratty carpet for every Swift Boat slob; and now, now, they decide to get loftily anal."
Tapped's Matthew Yglesias has a good post with some good links today, about Putin's shocking power grab on Monday. And just exactly how much can our president say about this? Absolutely nothing. (In fact, he's probably cheering Putin on and taking notes.)

How important is Osama bin Laden to George Bush? --
"WASHINGTON, Sept. 14 - Three years after the Sept. 11 attacks on New York and the Pentagon, the Central Intelligence Agency has fewer experienced case officers assigned to its headquarters unit dealing with Osama bin Laden than it did at the time of the attacks..." That's pretty much all you need to know, though there's more here.

If it seems like Iraq gets worse each day --
it's because it does. "It is beginning to look like, and feel like, civil war."

Polls --
Take a deep breath, exhale slowly, get a grip on yourselves, and get back to work: Kerry is getting back "on message" - as they say; and the bounce is dwindling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home