Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Robertson says his comments were taken out of context...

I was so stupified by Robertson's words Monday that I couldn't even write a decent tagline. By Tuesday afternoon, the press was finally starting to gather reactions. My co-blogger had the decency to wonder if Robertson has a brain disorder, but I thought his words were otherwise too "rational" and calculated. The man has clearly been giving this some thought. Anyway, today he says
"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out.' And 'take him out' can be a number of things, including kidnapping; there are a number of ways to take out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted by the AP [Associated Press], but that happens all the time"...
Except that Monday he also said
"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think we really ought to go ahead and do it... It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This "I didn't really say that" thing is common. When I was in the P.R. business, I used to have to run videos of clients' interviews to prove to them that yes, they really said that.

In Robertson's case, I think a lot of narcissism is involved, too. He believes he is entitled to say anything at all, and then has the right to deny he said it.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home