Sunday, November 20, 2005

Now we're trying to silence churches

Perhaps you heard about this a couple weeks ago: the IRS is threatening to revoke the tax-exempt status of All Saints Church in Pasadena because a pastor preached an anti-war sermon shortly before the election. The church is fighting back and has a lot of support from both liberal and conservative churches.

If you go to their web site they've posted an internal link to the text of Rev. Ed Bacon's rip-roaring good sermon from November 13, 2005, "The IRS Goes To Church."
Faith in action is called politics. Spirituality without action is fruitless and social action without spirituality is heartless. We are boldly political without being partisan. Having a partisan-free place to stand liberates the religious patriot to see clearly, speak courageously, and act daringly.
Go and enjoy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna pick nits here. I recognize the point of the posting and the linked article--keeping the IRS out of the church, since the church is staying out of partisan politics. But the few sentences quoted are gnawing at me.

First, let me say that it's important to recognize that Christians are diverse in their views, and not all respect others' views. It's important to do so, and I think the liberal side of the church does a better job of this than the conservative side. But, it's also important to respect non-Christians' views as well. I'm an atheist (try as I might, I could never accept my Protestant upbringing), so I stay out of the religion wars.

What got my goat was this line: "social action without spirituality is heartless". This is flat out wrong. My social actions may be without spirituality, but they are certainly not without heart. There are many secular humanists that would agree with me. Please remember this: freedom of religion also means freedom not to believe, but this doesn't mean that non-believers are without heart.

B

10:06 PM  
Blogger mizm said...

That sentence made me uncomfortable, too, on behalf of the several athiest/agnostic activists in my immediate circles. I agree that it's wrong and I should have spent some time saying so.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home