Friday, July 29, 2005

It depends on what the meaning of "Holy Scriptures" is....

You've probably heard about the flap in North Carolina over just whose "Holy Scriptures" get to be the resting place for oaths to tell the truth, the whole truth, etc. Seems the Quran isn't considered holy writ in some places, so the ACLU is bringing suit to rectify this situation. The Christian Alliance for Progress has a thoughtful commentary on the matter -- reminding readers again (see post above) about the importance of who sits on a Supreme Court that might eventually hear the ACLU's case.

But here's a thought that just struck me: since our president is supposed to be such a religious guy, maybe we should check out photos from his inaugurations to see exactly what book he had his hand on when he took those oaths to uphold the Constitution. Could it have been Macchiavelli's The Prince, or possibly one of the Left Behind series, that got pulled off the shelf instead of the volume that says things like, "Blessed are the peacemakers"? Just a thought....

P.S. to my last post: I apologize for the weirdness of the pull quotes. My absence from Blogger has been so long that I've forgotten how to get rid of hard returns. I'll refrain from quotes until I've re-educated myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home